Old 06-09-08, 09:02 PM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking at photos of the early Univega bikes, it appears that Univega was much like the Centurion brand: imported bikes that offered a really nice bike for the price...for less money than a comparable bike from the "famous" names.

I had a Univega mountain bike that I liked a lot, because was one of the last mountain bikes sold with a really top quality steel frame, AND a rigid steel fork, which I prefer to suspension for the sorts of trails I ride. It was simply the nicest "feeling" mountain bike I've been on.

Recently, a friend gave me a fifteen year old Univega hybrid, likely one of the cheapest Univega bikes ever sold. But, after a few adjustments, it turned out to be a great "grocery store" bike. Nothing special, just a bike that has provided many years of reliable service without costing much money.

But, as a "rule of thumb", I'm guessing the "best" or more interesting Univega bikes are the early models. By around 1995, it seemed that Univega was simply trying to offer bike shops a "cheaper" bike...basic bikes at low prices.