Old 06-10-08, 09:18 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
This is a question I've asked myself, and can't answer yet.

My folding bike has become my main commuting machine, and I put more miles on it in a month than I put on all my other bikes in a year. Though I might replace it with another folder, I wouldn't dream of replacing it with a 'regular' bike, even if I changed job locations and changed my commute. Now over the year since I've had my Downtube Mini, it's taken me a while to get it set up for maximum comfort, which has entailed changing the way I ride, and also making changes to the bike that are unrelated to the fact that it folds. For example, I've changed to short crank arms, which I did because I tried the Kent Ultralight folder for a while and realized that its short crank arms were one of its best features.

Last Sunday I had to make a quick 6-mile ride (my son's choir was about to perform and he needed a pair of black socks) so for the first time in a few years I got on my road bike, which I used to be my favorite recreational vehicle. It's light, with an aluminum and carbon frame, carbon fork, 700c wheels, 120 psi tires, stretched out aerodynamic position, STI shifters, and so on. At first I was amazed how quick it felt; but almost immediately I found my legs getting much more tired than they do on my folding bike. By the time I got home I had to slack off my pace, and I was thinking the bike was all wrong. I looked it over and realized my crank arms are 175's! Until I change that --which may be impossible-- there's no fair comparison between the bikes. I also didn't like using derailleurs.

I'm in the process of setting up my old touring bike with an 8-speed hub, short crank arms, and so on. It should end up a fair comparison to the folder. I'll let you know how it turns out!