View Single Post
Old 06-10-08, 02:36 PM
TomRides

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Devinci Santiago, Fisher Sugar 3+, Bianchi Ocelot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a 50+..but I have some input..

Originally Posted by Mo-bile
I'm 51, female, 5'7" w/ 31 or 32" inseam. I currently ride a Marin Lucas Valley, aluminum with flat bars. I'm looking at getting a more traditional road bike but with relaxed geometry and carbon frame, such as a Specialized Roubaix or Trek Pilot. The Marin's gearing is 54/42/30 and the Roubaix is 50/39/30 for a triple (which I'm pretty certain I want). I want comfort since I tend to do longer rides (charity rides and such). I thought the flat bars would give me that but I feel that the Marin has a pretty jarring ride, although I haven't tried the carbons yet, so can't really compare. Anyway, my question is: what sorts of differences can I expect with regard to the gearing, the ride, position, etc. Has anyone else gone from flat bar comfort bike to drop bar comfort bike? I'm wondering if this is the right move for me, or should I look at carbon frame flat bar bikes, or something else? I'm also going to look at women specific bikes, although I think I might be taller than those bikes anticipate. Any tips, suggestions, comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Mo-bile,

I went from an aluminum flat bar road bike..carbon fork, road geometry to a Specialized full carbon Roubaix comp. I WILL tell you that I really notice the effects of the carbon and Specializeds' zertz inserts on damping road vibrations. If you're gearing up to do longer rides, and want to get faster and stronger, I'd get on a Roubaix and give one a test ride. Ask your LBS if they'd be willing to let you take the bike on an extended test ride on your regular route so you can get a true comparison on roads that you are used to..if they're willing to do this, have them give you a basic fitting before taking the bike out. I'm a little taller than you, but with a similar inseam and I ride a 54" which you may be able to get away with. You may also want to ride on a Ruby if they have one.

Also if more cycling, and getting stronger is truly a goal, I'd consider trying a compact double as opposed to a triple. I went from a triple and really don't miss the 3rd ring except on really long or steep hillls...plus the double will shift much better than the triple. Check this out and ask questions before setting your mind.

As for comfort, you'll feel the road MUCH less in my opinion compared to your Marin, and the Roubaix/ Ruby is set up for a more upright position that can be changed as your cycling progresses. Some say that the zertz inserts are all marketing, but after riding my Roubaix for close to 2000 miles over the year that I've owned it, I'm always amazed at how it smoothes out the road! A long test ride is key and working with a shop that is willing to listen to your comfort input after the test ride and make adjustments in handlebar width, stem length and rise, etc. if you're serious about the purchase. I know you've heard it over and over, but a proper fit with a good tech at the show WILL make a ton of difference..after all if you're about to spend over $1200-$1500 on a bike, you deserve nothing less. Good shorts, gloves, seat, and bar tape are also important comfort elements especially on longer rides. On ANY ride over 40+ miles (I'm 46 so close to your age) we're going to feel SOME discomfort, but you'll learn to switch hand positions often, stretch while on the bike, and stay loose and all of that will help!

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. Also FYI, a woman in our club who is 60, and about your height and inseam rides a standard Roubaix..I believe also a 54 and the bike seems to fit her pretty well.

Have fun shopping..but I highly endorse the Specialized line..I'm a convert and couldn't be happier with my Roubaix. As mentioned, drop a line if you have more questions...

Tom..from Boston'ish.