View Single Post
Old 06-13-08, 03:27 AM
Autoworker
Recently Re-tired.

Bikes: Lightfoot Ranger, Maxarya (both recumbents), Strida, Dahon Jetsream E-bike, Dahon Curve SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Golectric
They are much safer on public paths then Open Frame bikes, roller bladers and people wearing headphones.
Please explain to me how a 175lb e-scooter is much safer on a public path than an open frame bike. According the laws of physics, the heavier a vehicle the longer it's stopping distance, and the more damage it will do in a collision with another object or person, all other factors being equal.

All you supporters of these e-scoots keep harping about how much safer they are than an e-bike. You may feel safer yourself, surrounded by all that plastic bodywork, but you're not. My BionX e-bike will out-accelerate and out-brake any e-scooter. Once again, it's simple physics. The lighter vehicle will accelerate faster, stop quicker, and handle more responsively. And that's what safety in traffic is all about - having the acceleration and braking ability to avoid a collision.

As far as safety on a bike path or sidewalk goes, their sheer bulk, in size and weight, combined with their ponderous handling and stopping (in)abilities, make them a hazard to others. How do you think a parent of a pre-schooler riding their bikes on bike path, feels when they see your great big lumbering, motor-scooter-looking vehicle come around a corner, straight at their little darling? No wonder you get no respect, and are yelled at to get off the bike path.

The letter of the law may be on your side, but many times, the law is an ass.