View Single Post
Old 06-15-08, 06:55 AM
Jtgyk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yamaharacin27
Anybody join in on the fun? I went and rode the 55 mile with my brother and my dad took the 34 mile route. A total downpour started at about mile 21 for me. I was able to get under an awning at Rest Stop 3, but not until I got soaked to the bone. After it let up, I took off again and froze my butt off for about 7-8 miles until the sun poked out and warmed me up a little. I ended up finishing in a little over 3 hours, my best time yet for a 50+ ride. Overall, I had a total blast and am highly complimentary of the organizers, volunteers, facility, and kind policemen. Whoever didn't go, you definitely missed a great ride.
I think I met your dad the last rest stop on the 34 route. He was remarking that he was participating with his son and said that the son had probably finished his 55 by then (about 2 hours in)
The 34 woute got a bit of a sprinkle...but mostly enjoyed the 73F it cooled off to.

I managed the 34 mile route (in actuality it is a 31.5 or so route) in 2 hours 23 min. averaging 13.6 mph.
I weigh in at 360 so the hills were seriously kicking my butt toward the end and started bonking at mile 28. I was definitely in my own personal hell the last couple miles.

Anyway I'm glad that I didn't shoot for the 45 mile route as I had planned.

I can tell that I'll have to put more hills into my training.
Would I do it again?
Definitely!.....with a change of seat.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock