View Single Post
Old 06-16-08, 05:19 AM
Racingboo

Bikes: Nothing too special - a Globe Sport, I think it's called. It's a hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I'm on my own, riding in our town (one of the biggest in Ireland) I do a combination of riding on the pavement and riding in the street. When I am on the pavement, I go really slowly and will often pickle along after slow-moving pedestrians. I tried the alternative, riding among traffic in a one-way section I otherwise have to go along to get into the town centre, and it was downright scary. This section requires rapid lane changes, among other things.

When I am with my three kids, there is no way in heaven or hell I'm going to cycle on the road. I tried it once, wanting to abide by the law, and my little boy tried to stick too close to the kerb after Mommy stressed they should stay on the side of the road and practiced with them in our quiet neighbourhood, hit his pedal against it and fell right in front of a car. If it wasn't for the driver's quick stopping, he'd have been dead or seriously injured.

When they are older and can understand these things better, I'll try again. My nerves are too shattered two years on from the incident to try again. Forget it.

Cycle lanes here are often blocked by cars parked in them. I find that very frustrating.