Thread: Winter Shoes
View Single Post
Old 10-24-04, 07:46 PM
mplsdog

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Traveler - Upright Conversion. 2003 Redline Conquest - Cyclocross. 19?? Villager Tricycle. 3 Swedish Bikes - Crescents. Plus lots of other random junkers.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Shoes

Greetings,

I have been trying to figure out how I am going to keep my feet warm this winter in Minnesota. I have been looking at various types of shoes and what I've found is that most bike shoes are made to be light weight thus a poorly insulated shoe. I realized that if I could get a little bit of a larger shoe I could double up on wool socks and with some booties I would probably be okay. I finally decided to order a pair of Shimano BMX shoes, they look somewhat like sneakers but I think they will suit me better in the winter here.

My question is to those that ride in the snow (or more often than not, slush and ice). Should I skip SPD all together and just use a cage, it seems that when its slippery I might want to be able to get my feet down as soon as possible, or will SPD be a better option because I won't slip off pedals. This will be my first full winter of commuting. Although I'll be in Australia for a month in January, and I'll be bringing my cross bike with me, woot!

Any suggestions would be great.