View Single Post
Old 06-18-08, 06:37 PM
melville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by guygadois
Thanks for your reply. The Victory caps are metal and look just like the C-Record caps. I will try what you say (except the pliers) and also try adding some Tri-Flo or T-9 in it. Fife, huh? I spent a wee-time in Dollar riding my bike with Stuart Wilson Cycles. Ever heard of them?

Guy
If you've got a 7mm inhex for the crank bolt, you have a set of one key releases. Your statement in your first post that it loosens and then tightens backs up that theory. I know the C-Record had them, as did Croce d'Aune and early 90s Chorus, but I couldn't recall whether Victory had them.

If you can't get the crankarm off with the one key release, remove the dustcap/one key release cap with a pin wrench (WARNING--IT HAS LEFT HAND THREADS!!!!! BOTH SIDES!!!!!), remove the bolt (right hand thread--but you know that already) and then get the special Campy left hand threaded crank puller, and pull it conventionally.

Yes, there's a left hand threaded crank puller. When I worked in the biz, I didn't trust the one keys and actually mounted the cranks with conventional bolts, then removed the bolts and installed the one keys torquing exactly to spec and not one bit more. I trusted them even less for removal, and generally used the LH crank puller. They seemed a bit brittle.