View Single Post
Old 10-25-04, 06:24 PM
greenstork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lingering fatigue & headache

Hi folks, quick question about a recent issue I've been having following a ride this weekend. Let me start by saying that I'm not exactly a picture of health, particularly my diet, but my weight is pretty good and I'm in good cardio condition.

I went on a 60 mile ride yesterday and didn't eat too much before I started. Since the ride started early, I had a Clif Bar in the morning, plenty of water, and a Clif Bar halfway through the ride. I didn't bonk or anything, having plenty of energy to get me through the entire ride. I drank two full water bottles on the ride and quite a lit of water when I got home.

The problem that I had was that for the rest of the afternoon, I had a nagging headache and felt particularly sluggish. This headache continued through today and I've felt a little under the weather, energy wise, all day.

I ate a burger and fries about an hour after my ride and a PB & J sandwich, and about 5 halloween size candy bars. Yes, I know, not exactly healthy but what can I say, I used up a lot of calories on my ride and I was famished for some junky food.

I never replaced my electrolytes, assuming that I didn't get any from those other food sources I cited.

Does anyone have an idea why I am having this headache, sluggishness? I have a feeling that I've depleted some nutrient(s) exercising and I haven't replaced them. Of course, I have no idea what nutrient(s) I might need. What are good recovery foods, and specifically, what nutrients do I absolutely need to replace? Is this related to electrolytes?