Old 06-21-08, 07:01 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pcmike
I've got a new Trek Madone 5.5 and have a dilemma. I went througha detailed and precise fitting yesterday at a LBS that specializes in professional athlete training. Not that I am anything near that, even in my wildest dreams.
But as part of the fitting, I was presented some compelling evidence that saddles like the old Brooks B-17 that I had broken in over the past couple of years can cause some, ah, serious numbness and, over prolonged use, even damage to, ah, a very important part of my anatomy.
So I bought a new saddle. I’ve had no symptoms or problems with the Brooks but the health warning, and the lightness of the new saddle and, yes, even the cool looking white color that complements the white handlebar wrapping on the Madone, convinced me to bolt it on. It was precisely adjusted to position and angle.
But now it’s like all those weeks and months of getting my butt into shape went right out the window. There are new spots that need to get acclimated again and, after 30 miles this morning, I was pretty sore. Not horrible… but enough to keep me from doing a third 15-mile loop of the route.
Which begs the question: Do I just pedal and bear it? I have a metric century (62 mile ride) coming next Saturday and, unless I can get my rear end reconditioned to the new saddle, I’m sorely (a pun, get it?) tempted to put the old Brooks back on.
Logic tells me to stick with the saddle recommended by the fit experts. My question is, in putting another 50-60 miles between now and the Ride For Hope, will I be reconditioned enough for 62 miles next Saturday?
They sold you a scary story so they could sell you a saddle. If you get numbness during a ride, with your old saddle, then you have a problem, if you do not get numbness, then you don't need the new saddle. White tape and saddle look nice, but they also get dirty quite fast. So you will probably dump the white tape within a few months, and the white saddle along with it. If you like the Brooks, and don't get numbness issues, then go back to it. Get tape that matches your Brooks when the white tape gets too dirty to look at anymore.