View Single Post
Old 06-23-08, 05:46 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
So - it seems there are a few different centuries we could do and depending on who wants to do what we can organize a few of them.

1) NYC Type Century. Doesn't have to follow the same route as the TA Century or it can. I'll be marshaling the 100 mile route so I wouldn't mind having a go at it before hand It's also my third attempt (first was a bodily breakdown, the second mechanical breakdown) so it'll be a charm .
Advantages - always near transportation
Disadvantage - it's all in NYC which for some is probably meh. We could also come up with our own route and go for it.

2) Leave NYC and come back all by bike. Options there are upstate (so Bear Mountain), Long Island (out to Huntington and back is about 100 miles, or could take the subway out to the end and then reach a bit further), CT (there's a popular route towards New Haven I believe), or NJ (not familiar with too much but I'm sure there's someplace nice to ride a century - maybe down to Asbury Park and back).
Advantages - get out of the city, see some stuff we don't get to see.
Disadvantages - spotty transportation if the **** hits the fan, LI has a lot of traffic, Bear Mountain is really hilly and would take a lot of training (on my part anyway) to make it, I'd have to do some research for CT and NJ loops.

3) Leave the city for the century, come back via transportation. Options could be a redo of Montauk, North Fork, from NYC to Philly (something on my todo list), really far upstate, to New Haven.
Advantages - Yay, really out of the city!
Disadvantages - Transportation. If the group's any larger than four we'll have issues getting back to the city via train. To Philly would actually be the best option since we could put the bikes on the Chinatown bus and be back pretty quickly.

It's the year of the enema!