Old 06-25-08, 08:39 AM
talbert

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, SRAM Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting back in the saddle..advice?

So, after a 12 year lay off from the sport...I'm looking to climb back in and hit it hard. I'm no good at doing anything half throttle. I'm turning 34 this year, I'm over weight and unhealthy. All I own is a mountain bike...but there was once a day were cycling was my life traveling the south to all the big races on the weekends. I've reached that point many of us do in our 30's. Stressed, overweight, buried in my career...or should I say a career that's gonna bury me one day.

I live in North Dallas now, and come to find out...there's quite the riding community here. Some really nice shops in the area, excellent roads to ride on, several group rides and races to participate in...and above all....I live 10 minutes from one of the few Velodromes in the US. Could you ask for more? The stage is set...

So this week I set out to look at bikes. Already my mind is racing...road bike, tt bike, crit, track...so many things to buy..so much money to spend. I'm blown away at some of the bikes out now...but I'll always remember a valuable lesson I learned at 17 when I was riding my new fancy Cannondale 17 years ago and a guy in his 50s blew by me on a steel frame like I was nothing. The engine comes first as I look down at my legs...groom them...train them..

For now...I'm going to drop some weight with my mountain bike for a few weeks and get some miles under my belt. Right now it doesn't matter what I ride..Im so out of shape. But I've got that fire inside of me and I expect things to move fast...road bike to follow...then TT..and so on.

My life has changed ladies and gentlemen....Add one more to the pack