Old 05-03-02, 08:24 AM
catfish
have bike will tour

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek 520, Trek 2120

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes the train is AMTRACK like i said they have the boxes right at the station for 10 dollars (check with your local station to be sure they have some) they are large enough to just roll your bike in to them no need to remove the wheels. the pedals however have to come off and i had to turn the handle bars that all i did.

the boxes are quite easy to deal with i bought a large roll of straping tape to secure the box. I got my box ahead of time boxed the boike the night befor and had got a ride to the station, you can however just ride to the station and box it there.

the train i took went all the way to portland no transfering trains if you have to switch make sure your ride also gets transfered to the next train

I padded the heck out of the bike with my sleeping bag and a lot of bubble wrap i watched the train baggage handlers they treated my box kindly no problems. i was pleased with the way things went its actually the second time i used the train to transport me and thre bike to a start point
contact AMTRACK directly for more information

Last edited by catfish; 05-03-02 at 08:28 AM.