Old 06-28-08, 03:29 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
How does noise originate from the seat post? I did adjust my saddle height just before the noise started.
It's funny that you ask.....

Recently I notice that my usually very trusty single speed was making a creaking noise. I could only make it happen when I got up out of the saddle and torqued on the frame. This had me extremely worried with thoughts of failing brazed joints running through my mind.

I stopped by my local LBS where I'm a regular fixture and we put it on the stand and I got one of the guys to flex the frame while I looked for the source. In an attempt to feel if it was a joint I removed the seat post and VOILA! Noise is gone.....

Seems that the trustly SS had been SO trusty that the grease I used on the seatpost had finally been washed away from a few years of our typical rainy winters. The post came out with only a little grease on it along with some rust from the frame tube.

Next on the list is a bucket of frame saver and some time spend on preventative sloshing on this as well as my other couple of steel frames.

It's truly amazing how much our bike frames can flex in use. Almost anything attached to it can be the source of a creak if it's dry. ESPECIALLY a seat post that overlaps so much of the seat tube.