Cal_Jordan
Sigh Cling Sailor

Bikes: A 2002 DiamondBack Outlook

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Heck, man, I am 68 years old and I ride 150 miles per week, swim 4-5 hours per week, weight lift and walk regularly.

I don't think you are over training.

Recovery drink?

Recover from what?
well thats the thing, after my ride, I get to work out with my command...pushups situps, and running mixed up in there...

AND THEN, during lunch, we'll top it off with a nice run of anywhere between 2 miles or a 5k...and THEN I get to ride home.

so, its not JUST that I'm riding to work, its that my ride is both my warmup and my cooldown workout bookending my OTHER workouts...

smartace...hahaha...well played though, sir!

Originally Posted by Longfemur
It doesn't sound to me like right now, you've been doing enough mileage to have to worry about overtraining, or even about recovery drinks. Not trying to put you down for not riding longer, because I think riding 10 miles most days of the week is great. Not every ride has to be an epic adventure, as many people seem to be doing in Bike Forums if you believe it all.

But on the other hand, since you've only been riding a short time, it's possible you might need to take a break on some days just to let your muscles recover.

I don't actually use "recovery drinks". I just eat and/or drink something that has calories, and then later on at normal meals, I make sure I eat at least some protein. You can get yourself run down pretty quickly if you don't replenish calories.
I'm not riding just 10 miles a day...thats the shortest route home I take...I'm doing anywhere between 20 and 30 a day, and I plan on bumping that number up whenever I get the chance...as long as my wife will let me.

and believe me, I'm one of THE BIGGEST advocates of hydration...my wife HATED water when we met...now, she has her own camelbak.

Last edited by Cal_Jordan; 06-28-08 at 10:41 PM.