View Single Post
Old 06-29-08, 03:39 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I was just out riding, and boy, do I feel old, fat and slow. So finishing last in a race sounds a lot better than huffing around the bike trail like me.

Keep at it, and maybe you'll be whooping up on those other guys after a while. Or maybe not. But then at least you'll know what's involved, and won't be sitting around years from now, thinking "I wish I had tried that."

I've hiked up mountains. I've roller skated. I've unicycled. I've jogged. I've ridden bicycles. I've swam. Some of it, I figured out right quick wasn't for me. Some of it, I could do, but didn't enjoy it. Some of it, I enjoyed immensely, even though I was on the low end of the range of achievement, too. But the thing is, you don't know until you try.

"Getting beat by the 12 year old girl was a bit hard to take though!"
I hiked up Round Mountain in Colorado one time. I huffed and puffed for 4 hours making it up there, felt like a he-man for doing it. Got up to the top and there wwas a bunch of old white-haired people that looked like they were right out of the nursing home. THen again, I went up one of the 14'ers, was in better shape by then, and moving right along. Got passed by a boy and his dad, I think that boy was 11. So, yes, humility happens, but don't let it keep you from doing stuff.

Last edited by StephenH; 06-29-08 at 03:43 PM.