View Single Post
Old 06-30-08, 06:02 AM
racethenation

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Fastback Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I started rding in January with the goal of losing 104 pounds this year. I started at 6'1" and 329 pounds. I have lost 54 pounds so far, and I am right on track to make my goal. When I started, I rode my olf Huffy mountain bike because that it is what I had. I rode it hard for 5 months and although I broke some things, nothing was weight related. A month ago, I picked up an almost new road bike (at 285 pounds) and have put almost 250 miles on it in the last month.

Keep it up, and you can lose the weight!

Originally Posted by drbrent
Hello, I'm a Clydesdale, for sure. I'm 6' 2" and weigh in at 320 lbs. Was an all-state high school athlete at 225 lbs, but over a dacade has passed since then. I have let my activity level essentially vanish, and my health, and life are at stake if I cannot make some changes. I don't drink, don't smoke, just eat too much, too often, and don't excercise much anymore. Looking to cycling for a stress outlet and way to increase my activity level A LOT. I am looking to lose 100 pounds WITHOUT bariatric surgery, so I will be keeping a daily journal of my experiences on this 100 pound journey. I want to live my life and enjoy my beautiful family. I want to be able to practice my profession uninhibited by my weight. I want to feel alive again. I think that feeling better about myself and my condition will help me more easily maintain a positive outlook on life and enjoy it more in general. My weight is quite excessive, but I am still able to excercise pretty well, just don't want to kill my joints on a treadmil....and honestly, I don't like running for running's sake anyway! When I conquer my 100 pound mountain, I just might write a book about it....who knows. I hope that by using this forum, I can gain some support and keep motivated.

So, first, I need a bike. I am not your average clydesdale. Most of you on here seem to be well below the 300 pound line, so I'm thinking sturdy is of the utmost importance for me. I am willing to spend a little to get something that I will stick with for a while. I am thinking mountain bike frame to start with, and if I fall in love w/ cycling and drop say....50 lbs, I will convert to a nice sturdy road bike.

Here is the bike I am considering (your comments are much appreciated...):

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/prod...avyDutyBicycle

This company seems to cater to folks like me: Super Sized Cycles
They're website is: http://www.supersizedcycles.com/home

Thanks for your help, input, and support in my battle against the bulge!