Old 06-30-08, 01:11 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ACH57
What do you do with BOs that won't sit still with gravity alone, like cable stops on the top tub that are bullets with a slot in them? or rear rack mounts that go on the seatstays?
Take a look at the Braze On Jig that Henry James sells. I think there are pictures in their Tech Info PDF. Once you've seen it, you should easily be able to build your own. You can probably find a few other designs on the web, too.

For cable stops, you can do what I do: cut a piece of thick welding wire 12-18" long, clamp it to a tube, and slip the other end into your cable stop. This will provide just enough downward pressure to keep the cable stop in place and the clamp will be far enough away that it won't melt.

Also does anyone have a drilling jig for drilling the water bottle bosses they would rent?
Is there such a thing? I just took a bottle cage, duct taped it to the appropriate tube, then used a transfer punch to mark the center of each mounting hole. Gave 'em a light tap with a center punch, then drilled the holes using a cordless drill and a steady hand. Of course, the True Temper Versus tubing I used wasn't that difficult to drill. If you're working with harder tubing, you might want to use a drill press or mill to drill the holes. In any event, this is one of those places where I think you don't need supreme accuracy. There's enough slop in the mounting holes for most bottle cages that you can be off by a few millimeters and it won't be a problem...