View Single Post
Old 07-01-08, 09:32 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A serious fork-length question

Dminor serious? I know it sounds unlikely but . . .

I 'inherited' a 2003 Diamonback XTS Moto frame from my son, which I am building up into a long-legged trailbike. The bike originally came with a Marzocchi Jr. T which had an axle-to-crown length of 555.6mm. I have my choice between a couple of 09 RST Storm fork samples to try on it: the Storm Air in 160mm-travel version or the Storm Super with 180mm travel.

Now, here's my dilemma: I would prefer to get the Storm Air -- it weighs about a pound less, it has just over 6" of travel (which is fine for this project) and it has more sophisticated damping circuitry. However the 160mm version has an axle-to-crown of 540mm. The Super is kind of overkill though: it weighs a pound more; has 10mm more travel than the original Jr. T; and has an A-to-C of 560mm.

My concern is if giving up almost 15mm in A-to-C is going to have too much of an adverse affect on the geometry. I wouldn't mind if it made it a little less sled-like (and I already have a sled if that was what I was after) but I don't want to steepen it too much or lower the BB too much.

Thanks! I know you'll all come through with good advice, some bad jokes, a funny picture-joke, some uninformed opinions and a zinger from junkyard