View Single Post
Old 07-01-08, 02:29 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mid 90's and I raced. In the Vet group over here that was 45+. Had no chance but it was local racing and I felt that when you have such a small group as used to race locally- one more rider to be beaten would add to their Kudos. All went well and I normally finished around the rear of My age group but not amongst the mixed group we used to race with.

Then I went to Canterbury and found I was the only 45+ that day so "Can you race with the 35+ as it would be awkward to have a race of 1" No problems as I told them- I only make up the numbers.

So 11x 35+ers on 3 laps of a 7 mile offroad course- along with the Girls on 3 laps- The juniors on 2 laps and the Sports class on 3 laps. about 40 of us altogether. No way did I finish last but most of the sports class did lap me by the end. Went to the presentation and I came 2nd in the 35+ers.-----but no 3rd presented. Only 2 of us finished in the class. Should have ended my race career there as the following year- "Due to my Excellent Finish at Canterbury" I was put up into the open class. No problem--I could come last in the Open class- just as easily as in the Novice group.

Spike Milligan