Old 07-02-08, 11:30 PM
collingsd1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horror stories.. your worst day on the road.

Hi, Just wanted to hear some of your trials and tribulations, how you got through them and what you learned.
I'm relatively new to touring, I've done the Oregon coast and the Rockies.
Tunnels and logging trucks on the coast were a fright but my worst day came on an impromptu ride from Breckenridge, CO to Steamboat, CO (about 100 mi.) The weather turned and my go to campground was closed for brush clearing (poor planning) ... I was stuck on Rabbit Ears Pass climbing to elev.'s near 10,000 ft. (closer to the lightning!) At about 20 miles past my prime, I felt sick and decided to Guerilla camp and relieve my volatile stomach as thunder persisted like the needle of a sewing machine.. yikes! Truly a lesson in better preparation both physically and logistically.
Anyway, I've learned that touring is an addictive bug, it gets in you, it hurts you, tortures you, at times you scream and wonder 'Why am I doing this !?!' But there's always that stretch of serenity, freedom, peace and clarity that plants a seed just waiting for the whetting of a new appetite.
I do have a battle cry.... the first pedals on the open road... ADVENTURE!!!
Yeah, so I'm corny, but along with your stories I'd like hear your thoughts on the ethics of Guerilla camping.