Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Stickies Again - Ugh!!

Dare I bring them up?

Stickies Again - Ugh!!

I had four stickies under my authorship.

1. Thread to Share our Rides - this never went anywhere, and was a bad idea from the get-go

2. List of 50+ Bicycles. This was very popular, but I stopped maintaining it after a year, and it really ended up a mish mash of statements, various lists, and became pretty incoherent. My purpose in starting it was to give 50+ newbies and returning bicyclists an opporunity to see that 50+'rs ride a great variety of bikes, not just hybrids and comfort bikes. I think it has gone beyond its purpose and deserves to die.

3. Thread for older newbies and those returning to bicycling. I kind of think this served a useful purpose to give older newbies and returning 50+ bicyclists an intro into, and various opinions about, what is important for older newbies. However, that is only my internal, somewhat biased opinion. What do others (especially newbies) think? Was it helpful to have this available?

4. Thread where folks answered a series of questions I wrote WAY BACK for 50+ riders to answer. Undoubtedly the single largest collection of data anywhere on the characteristics of 50+ riders - it would be a gold mine for a senior or master's paper for someone finishing a degree. It would also make a super article for a magazine such as Bicycling (or perhaps AARP)?? This was posted heavily with almost a thousand posts, and thousands and thousands of hits/views. I have folks tell me that they read the ENTIRE thread, and it gave them insight into and helped them start their bicycling as beginners and returning bicyclers.

OK, I got pissed off at everyone, and had them removed. I also felt it was a bad thing for them to all be authored by ME! I want (wanted) to get away from being Mr. 50+ as much as possible.

However, the possibility exists of resurrecting these, either as a continuation, or as a rewrite, or as a portion of a "super sticky" which listed links to some of the above within its contents.

I know Catweazle has expressed his concerns and dislike for most stickies, but neither he nor I are in charge of this forum (Praise the Lord).

So, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-03-08 at 07:19 PM.