View Single Post
Old 07-07-08, 07:27 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I think the biggest thing you'll find is that running rewards training in a very obvious and predictable manner.

Cycling is not quite so clear cut because of drafting and gearing. In fact I was just thinking of this stuff yesterday. My legs are short and I don't have a very big aerobic engine. I can barely run a 7:30 mile now, could barely run a 6:30 mile in high school. I train at 15-17 mph, 6-8 mph when it's really hilly. But come race day I can average 28 mph in a crit and feel pretty comfortable doing it and even go for the sprint. Again, drafting and gearing. They make up for my lack of aerobic ability and my short legs.

What I'm saying is that training better won't necessarily make you a better racer. It'll make you a fitter racer, and if you were running, you'd be better by a measurable amount (x seconds per mile or whatever). In cycling slightly better fitness means virtually nothing. Only substantial increases in fitness count.

The reason is that cycling, except for climbing and time trialing, is ALL about tactics. There are some very, very, very strong racers around here who went back to running because they couldn't get their head wrapped around the tactics. One local I think is a world champion triathlete in his age group and regularly gets top 3 in local 10ks, runs 6:00 miles or something like that. On a bike he was strong but never understood the etiquette, the close quarters stuff, etc. I went on one group ride with him and that was it, it was the most dangerous thing I'd ever done. He rode like he was alone and that's a big problem. Plus they flew up all the hills but that's another thing altogether.

I figure you'll know how to train, you'll be able to push yourself, etc etc. You won't be a wimp about training. I think you'll be able to climb pretty well, probably TT pretty well.

Then you have to get the tactics and stuff down. If you succeed in that, you'll be fine. If not it's very discouraging because a lot of less fit people will beat you.

cdr