Old 07-07-08, 10:18 PM
Young

Bikes: Orbea Marmalada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
Your lungs will be there, but your legs will not. You need to spend some time in the weight room building some muscle mass in your legs and getting those fast-twitch fibers firing.

Cycling is a very isometric activity compared to running. Train to be a strong cyclist and your running will suffer. Or, just be content sucking at both like me.

First you don't suck, because you are not joined with the millions of others that sit on their assess, at least you do something, and hell i would choose you over the next man because I would trust you through the stressful times to do what is right!! So thank you to your dedication to this sport, and your profession!

however with my background in exercise physiology, I know that adopting fast-twitch muscle fibers is impossible, genetically you have what you have, and essentially we can only fine tune that genetic gift (and can have a mixture of muscle types - (type I, and then Type II a&b).

My power output in my legs have been my savior as of late, and I was a sub 4 1500 meter runner, and sub 2 in the 800.

So I have no doubt about my power output, and then after doing a hilly 60 mile ride today, my legs paid the price, and carried me through one hell of a course, where aerobically the primary perk was a very rapid recovery after hitting the crest..

I figure that if I hang around 5k's and 10k's in running I should be fine, as I have already noticed better plantar flexion, and much faster sprints (amazing hip flexion, which interests me in running a steeple chase or two before to long)... AND any upbeat 400 repeat work much more enjoyable.

I know this in the areas of running:

ATP-PC energy system last for approx 25 secs in sprinting (anaerobic)
Glycolysis (30 - 40 minutes) aerobic
Oxidative Phosphorylation -- fat buring.... thereafter aerobic

in the cycling sense I have no idea how these areas would carry over..., or if they are repeated. I know without a doubt when I hit a climb, I use that ATP-PC system A TON!!!

So I understand what you are saying (there is not perfect trade off, there is much give and take if you want to be dominate in one over the other) but since I am not looking at many century rides, maybe a few... ideally I want to go, and go fast....get it over with.

It's the science that I love about figuring out this correlation between running and cycling, as ultimately I am shedding weight with the bike, while also using it to recover from a fractured cuboid (gaining strength) -

Goal number 1- get into competition weight 160 - currently 175...
Goal number 2 - go under 1 hour and 15 minutes on 25 mile hilly course
Goal number 3 - start doing both cycling and running to carry me back to a sub 15 5k ( i got to run 14:30's in the 5k before I die.., and entertain a few triathlons

Goal number 4 - - Long Term - Ironmans

so I think you get a better idea, and THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR SUCH PROMPT FEEDBACK, IT'S VERY APPRECIATED, AND PLEASE IF YOU ARE EVER IN THE BOWLING GREEN, KY AREA LET ME KNOW!! BEERS AND WATER ON ME!!!