Old 07-08-08, 04:51 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilintheus
Hi all,

After 6 months of commuting 26 miles a day and losing 45 pounds I've rewarded myself with a nice carbon frame, however I am now expecting to have to revert to carrying my laptop in a backpack. So faster commute, but less comfort unfortunately.

But before I give up on panniers I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who had successfully carried them on a carbon frame and if so, how they did it?

yours hopefully,

Neil
Other posters have mentioned using clamps. That's iffy. Carbon isn't really supposed to be subject to a lot of clamping force. That's why shops use torque wrenches.

Can I ask you why you purchased a frame that's so inappropriate for your use? The Synapse is a racing frame. No eyelets. No rack bosses. It's a single purpose machine, and you're not a single purpose rider.

Carry your laptop in your messenger bag. Save your money for a bike that's more what you need for the job. If you have no problem spending money(and I guess you don't), there are plenty of really nice steel road frames that will work. Think Waterford. Independent Fabrications, Bilenky, Gunnar, etc.