Old 10-31-04, 10:48 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
$300 is probably not unresonable if in pristine condition and it needs nothing.It's older 8 speed stuff which is ok. $200 'vintage' road bikes are more likely to be junk. Aluminum is ok,but steel will probably take more hard knocks if that is what it is likely to be subjected to. If you want fenders, basket and flat bars,look at something else. You might be better off with a ridid MTB with narrower slick tires on it.
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. The poster before made me think I was totally off the mark, but it seems like a really nice deal. I like the lightness of the road bike, along with the maneuverability factor--my last bike was a mountain bike, and it was so cumbersome. I'm not an accomplished cyclist at all, but I think I'll pick up actual riding skills quicker, better and more easily if I ride a 'rider's bike.' Am I wrong about this? Also, as a skinny guy (only 120lbs.), more maneuverable really helps me. I also wear really lightweight running shoes.

I just want to know if I can put fenders on to prevent mud getting all over me when I ride in the city. Do they make them for road bikes?

So it turns out that the bike is in such good shape because it was stored in the guy's parents's garage for four years. Very little mileage. It's got new-style shifters (by the brake levers)--do you know what year, at the earliest, that would put it? It's a Trek 1400. I asked the guy about the wheels, he said he just checked them last week and they're very true. He hasn't replaced any spokes. The saddle is a brand new Bontrager, and the pedals are brand new. He bought it new, and he's a little shorter than me, so I'm going to assume the frame is fitting the way it's supposed to; on my test ride, it felt great, but as I say, I have no experience with road bikes. My feeling is that the bike is basically little-used and would be quite a bit more if it were just a new model.

Other option is an 80s Trek frame with Campagnola comps that needs work: leaky tire and I don't know about the chain/derailleur. I'll assume that it'll soon need work. This one is only 150--less than half the price of the other bike. But I would think that all the work it will need could add up. Is a frame like this worth it? I like fixing things, but since I have no experience with bikes, and since winter is coming, I really don't cherish the idea of putting in a lot of work before I can ride the thing. I guess it's basically the allure of the quality-vintage ride. And since it's older, it's less flashy. Am I being tantalized by a false enticement?

By the way, can someone explain the difference between a city bike, a commuter bike, a road bike and a touring bike? I know that components are part of it, but is it also frame geometry?

Thanks again.