Thread: Wife and Tandem
View Single Post
Old 04-22-01, 09:35 PM
patricianuk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am stoker on our tandem and at first I was very reluctant, in fact, as a non-driver, non-cyclist, I was quite frightened. As stoker you are putting your total trust in the pilot, and no matter how much you love and trust that person, it is still a leap of faith. Eventually though, I was persuaded, (I agreed eventually to stop him nagging!:wink Well, we borrowed one from friends, not their best one but one which had been land transport for Noah and his family on the Ark, it was ancient, appeared to have been constructed from scaffolding and had an old 3-speed Sturmey Archer for gearing, and 3 brakes, one of which was operated by the stoker with a foot-pedal!!
Well we packed a picnic and set off. Quiet back lanes - just as well, my lack of natural balance and shaky nerves had us all over the road - even so we managed 10 miles that day and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, (I think Malcom was a bit fraught tho'! Our favourite pub fixed that! )
Next thing we were building 'Mirabelle' our own tandem, (Don't worry, I'm not mad, :blush: just eccentric - I name everything, it makes swearing at them more satisfying - you should try it!)
That was 12 years ago and my only regret is that I missed so many years of pleasure.
Get your wife to read this and if she's still doubtful, tell her to e-mail me and we'll talk about it!