Old 07-10-08, 05:28 PM
alcanoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
After reading all these post I can only be thankful that I am in as good of shape as I am.

Two weeks ago I changed my workout routine to three days riding and two days lifting BUT after reading this months “Men’s Health” I am going back to three and three.

Living with diabetes is one of the hardest things to do but if you want to live then you have to do.

My Motto is “DO OR DIE”

I keep very good records and I find the harder I workout the better share I am in. I just can’t wait to workout everyday and I’m 66.
As you say, working hard is the key. The older you are (I'm 69), the quicker you decondition and the slower you recover which means it's easier to over train. The latest thinking/science on exercise and ageing is in an interesting book Younger Next Year. It's written by an MD and an old guy. I highly recommend it to anybody over 40 as that's when the genetically programmed decay sets in. A six day per week routine is recommended: 4 aerobic and 2 resistance training.

I was doing fine riding single track twice a week for 2 to 2.5 hours at a time at pretty high heart rates and two days of weight training per week. I've recently added two days of jogging and feel even better. Six days is definitely better than four.

You may not really "do or die", but you will definitely "do or decay" which means a poor quality of life for many years if not decades. A saying from Younger Next Year is that aerobics keeps you alive and weight training makes it worth living. I have found through personal experiences that it's literally true.

Al