View Single Post
Old 07-11-08, 01:27 PM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have noticed my regular LBS sells some models below MSRP while others are matching or slightly higher.

I politely asked the sales clerk who I normally seek out when visiting and asked why the difference in some prices against the manufacture webs sites.

In short he explained that there are manufacturer or distributor incentives for certain models, or price breaks at order levels. The floor pricing in the store is often based on on the cost plus % for retail on many items, if they save, $s on a model, and it is a proven mover for them, they will stock heavier and therefore offer a better price than maybe found elsewhere. He also indicated he can not do that on all products, but they try.

I also suspect on special orders or advance orders, MSRP is the standard, if they locked you in at that price it is a 50/50 shot, if the price is higher than promo materials indicate they may lose, if less, they may pass along to you, either case you could be ahead.