View Single Post
Old 07-11-08, 08:47 PM
deadforkinglast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saddle Up
The difference between riding a heavy frame (seatpot, stem included) is like the difference between riding with an empty or a full water bottle(s). The real performance gains are in reducing rotating mass. Light weight wheels and cranks.
This is what I've been thinking. Lighter pedal setups? Next time I weigh the bike, I should weigh it with my SPD/Sidi setup, which are much lighter than my GR-9/Samba set up. The pedals seem like an ideal place to lose weight. I'm not sure there would be any crankset in my budget that would be a significant upgrade, weight-wise, to my Sugino RDs.

Originally Posted by andre nickatina
Mine weighs 19.5lb and I have Velocity Fusions, heavier than Open Pros fo sho.

My suggestions aren't the cheapest but they're well worth it:
-get a Thomson stem/post. Both are lightweight, rugged, durable, solid.
-if you don't have them already, replace your straight gauge spokes with double butted, or build your next wheelset with them.

It seems like it'd be pretty hard to get a Kilo TT any lighter after the upper 18lb range...
I've been thinking about Thomson stems and posts for awhile now. When I have some cash, I'll probably pull the trigger on that. I feel like they're purchases I won't regret, that would be worth taking to another bike if I ever get bored with this one.

As for double-butted spokes, I regretted not building with them pretty much as soon as I was finished with my wheels. Oh well. They're still pretty light. I ought to stop skidding so much and throw some Grand Prix or something nice on there. Definitely on the front.

Originally Posted by Live2Die
This is so true! I will say however that if you reduce your rotational mass that can actually do much more in terms of what you can really feel on the bike. But if your carrying an extra 30lbs work on that first!
Very true. I used to carry an extra 35lbs, but now it's more like 5. I figure I'm working on that every time I get on the bike.