Old 07-13-08, 07:19 AM
okrobie

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp, Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shin Splint from cycling?

Hello, I have a shin splint in my right leg which is very painful when I walk, but is painless when I pedal. I don't remember doing anything that would injure my leg otherwise. Since cycling is the only activity I do with much energy, I have to conclude that I've injured it while riding. I began feeling it on Thursday morning before a ride, but I hadn't been riding since Monday. I did a little riding around the parking lot to test it out and since it didn't hurt, I decided to ride. I went on a 35 mile ride without pain. The average speed was 14.7 mph with one burst up to 23. Most of the rest of the ride varied between 14 and 18. The leg has hurt continuously since then except when I am resting or sleeping.

I'm wondering how long this thing is going to hurt and what I should do for therapy. One person has advised me to work through the pain by going for walks and stretching, but it feels better to rest it.

I don't have a choice about some walking since I have three dogs and they need their excercise. I don't feel worse after a walk with the mutts even though it is moderately painful during the walks. Should I follow my friends advice and increase my walking and stretching?

I'm just getting back to cycling after an absense of over 10 years so I'm also wondering how to prevent this from happening again. I must admit I'm not very good at spinning and tend to go to higher gears but I don't feel any pain when doing so. I don't have a way to measure cadence.

I definitely qualify to be in this forum since I am 66.

Thanks for any experience you have had with shin splints. Jim

Last edited by okrobie; 07-13-08 at 10:22 AM.