a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider24

Part one Multiple Choice
1)What material is the most popular frame material for mtb frames.
a)Aluminum
b)Tin
c)Carbon Fiber
d)Titanium
e)Steel
f)A and E
Trick question: Currently most popular is Aluminum. 15 years ago, the most popular was Steel. Steel is making a comeback, but it doesn't share the popularity it once did. I would say Titanium, Carbon and Steel are all about the same, with Aluminum being the most popular.

So, my answer is a) Aluminum

2)What company invented the short stays for their freeride hardtail frames.
a)Specialized
b)Giant
c)Trek
d)Kona
Another trick question. No one company "invented" short stays. It's all a matter of preferred frame geometry. You don't "invent" geometry, you just "utilize" a certain geometry. With that, I'm going to say: d) Kona. Mostly because the other companies don't really have FR hardtails, more DJ hardtails.
3)Which one of these freeride frames are most likely to do best at a xc ride?
a)Kona Stinky
b)Karpiel Apocalypse
c)Rocky Mountain RMX
d)Kona Cowan
Another trick question: XC rides in the North Shore are different to XC rides in SoCal or here in FL. I'd much rather ride a Stinky on some XC rides in the NS, but would definitely stick to a hardtail for stuff around here. So, I vote: d) Kona Cowan

4)Department stores bike frames are made of:
a)4130 Chromoly
b)7075 Aluminum
c)6061 Aluminum
d)High Tensile Steel.
Yet another trick question. Most are Hi-Tensile Steel, however, some of the new ones are 6061 aluminum or 4130 Chromo. However, predominately they are Steel, so my answer is: d) High Tensile Steel

5)What companies use the VPP technology:
a)Giant/Specialized
b)Trek/Gary Fischer
c)Santa Cruz/ Intense
d)Haro/Cannondale
My vote is c) Santa Cruz/Intense, but they didn't invent it, they just purchased the Patent rights from a company that is no longer call OUTLAND. A company way ahead of it's time.

6)What mounts on the outside of the seat tube of a xc frame.
a)Chainguide
b)Deraillier
c)Water bottle
d)b and c
What's with all the trick questions? I'm going to vote d) b and c, even though "deraillier" is spelled incorrectly and should be "derailleur".

7)What amount of travel are xc bike frame designed for forkwise.
a)12"
b)8"
c)6"
d)5"
e)4"
f)3"
g)Trick question
h)e and f
My vote of course will be g)trick question. A XC bike is too broad a spectrum. Recreational XC frames are designed for more intended travel. Whereas a thoroughbred race bike is designed for limited travel. Heck, some companies are sticking 5" travel forks on their XC bikes. (Jamis comes to mind) Also, you didn't ask about which decade. 20 years ago suspension was a new untried technology, so 2" was a lot.

8)What is the front part of a frame called.
a)Front part of the frame
b)That place where I reach over.
c)That happy magical place
d)The front triangle
e)Trick question
Yet another trick question, so e) trick question is my final answer. Reason the front "most" part of the frame is usually the headtube or even the head badge.

9)Box stays provide
a)More frame strength
b)Less tire clearance
c)A cooler look
d)A weaker frame.
My answer is e) both a and c.

10)Todays frames are designed for what kind of headset.
a)Threadless
b)Threaded
c)Integrated
d)No headset
Another trick question: Some companies are now designing for an integrated headset (which to me makes NO sense on a mountain bike. Yet, if you stick with a traditional headtube, the choice between threadless or threaded has little to do with the headtube. it depends on which type headset is pressed into the frame.

Part 2 true or false.

1)All frames are measured exactly the same.
False, don't get me started on the differences.

2)All depot store bike frames are built in the same quality when compared to a frame in which a 2 year old built out of duplo blocks.
I would say the duplo blocks frame is of better quality, so TRUE!

3)Any frame can handle a fork with 12"(300mm) of travel.
TRUE, any frame can handle a fork with 12" of travel, until you ride it! So, FALSE.

4)All frames are designed for 26" wheels.
FALSE, too many to list, BIG HIT's, 29ers...etc.

5)Plato was Mickey Mouses dog.
FALSE, wasn't that SPOT?

6)All seat tube sizes are the same.
TRUE, that's why they only come in about 25 different diameters and three different lengths.

7)All bikes are made overseas.
FALSE, Cannondale, Intense, Rocky Mtns.....etc.

8)Gussets don't add any strength.
FALSE, I'm getting too tired to come up with anything else to say.

9)There is only one headtube size.
FALSE, 1", 1-1/8", 1-1/4" 1.5" Then each manufacturer has different lengths depending on their individual geometries.

10)Blue frames are faster.
FALSE, everyone knows RED frames are faster.
Part 3 Essay(Remember, no AOL'ese.)

Explain The differences in how frames are measured from xc to DH/Freeride. Why doesn't the measurements resemble that of a road bike? Would it be a good idea to standardize these measurements, explain.

Each type of bike is designed specifically for a range of intended use. The beauty of cycling is the diversity and the differences enjoyed by different riders. Each person has their preference as to what is their favorite aspect of the sport of cycling. To standardize these measurements, you would have to standardize all riding styles. This would castrate the individuality of each of us and would create of world of mindless zombies.

Mountain biking has many subsets of riding styles. Originally the sport evolved from cyclist who wanted to take their bikes off the pavement. Tires got wider for better traction and the rider position shifted to a more prone one. Most bikes were minor variations of the same design. Currently, you have cross-country (XC) in both a recreational format and a highly competitive format. The bikes are lighter, steer quicker and climb with aplomb. Downhill Racing evolved as the early riders did what many of us enjoy, going fast without having to pedal. The trick was to be the fastest. As this sport evolved, and suspension technology developed, the bikes now resemble motorless motorcycles. Geometries are very laid back to provide stability at high speeds and in a downward slope. Rider position is toward the back of the bike at times toward the extreme back of the bike. This is due to the high rate of speed and the terrain encountered. The genre of Freeriding has created bikes with shorter chain stays, yet with longer travel to absorb the landings from drops and jumps usually performed at slower speeds than downhill racing. The geometries put the rider in a more upright neutral postion, yet the rider is able to shift his weight to the back when necessary. Four Cross racing is a new aspect of racing that grew out of slalom racing. These bikes are designed to turn fast, handle some jumps and pedal like crazy. The rider postion is neutral and back as most courses are downhill. Dirt Jumping evolved more from BMX then DH or FR, but still consists of smaller more compact frame geometries for strength. Rider position is neutral and back for proper control when airborne. Longer top tubes for more control and usually shorter chain stays. From there you can discuss trials, and concrete cruisers.

A mountain bike frame geometry is completely different than that of a road bike because the two riding styles are at opposite ends of the cycling spectrum. Road bikes are intended to be ridden on hard surfaces, and usually are ridden for long periods of time in straight (or generally straight) directions. Rider postions are very forward on the bike and low to minimize air resistance. Bikes are very light and efficient. Road riders consider a 30 mile ride, "a short training ride". 30 miles on a mountain bike is "EPIC". A road rider, might not turn more than 3 times in an hour, whereas a mountain biker may not turn less than 3 times in a couple of seconds. When was the last time you saw a roadie jumping a curb? Because of this dicotomy, the two frames are completely different than one another. Again, the roadie has a forward tucked postion for riding fast for long hours. A mountain biker is more upright and ready to turn fast, stand to sprint, sit down to hammer, stand up again to descend. He's all over the bike.

Standardization if both our savior and our nemisis. For geometries, it's a nemisis extrordinaire. Standardizing geometries would require that each of us were also standard. No two humans will have the same exact body dimensions. For that, we would need to be genetically enhanced through DNA manipulation. All our inseams, torsoes and arm lengths would all be the same. BORING!

Too tired to continue! Good Night!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger