carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by schnabler1
Hey! Big fan of your helmet cam work/blog

I felt the 'lull' with 1.5 laps to go and didn't know where my teammate was, so I didn't jump. The lull only lasted a few seconds. Right when I hesitated, the flyer goes, strings us out, and I was 10th wheel.

It stayed that way all the way to the finish!

Really had to be the first one through the last series of corners.

Next time, I'll jump!
heh thanks re: cam/blog. My cam is down temporarily as my new HD cam doesn't record like it's supposed to - either it's broken or the nut that is holding it is broken (i.e. user error), and I want to get that sorted out before I do any more cam stuff. So sorry about not having any new cam clips in 2008.

Can you explain more? Unless the field was small, it would have been very hard to string out the field such that no one could move up, or maybe there's something I'm not seeing? I'm making a few assumptions - lap is at least 1/2 mile long (8 turns), road was at least 20 feet wide (2 lanes) which means you can slide up next to the guy in front of you, and there wasn't any hill or anything that would make drafting a non-factor (a hill would make it easier to move up if you have some decent power left). Usually you can save energy by sitting on wheels, and after a 2 minute effort (1 mile at 30 mph), usually the guys sitting in have the gas to go around the ones in front. The only race I've read about where it was impossible to move up in the last lap was when Mike McCarthy (Subaru/Montgomery I think) led out for a lap which averaged about 42 mph - Gaggioli used up his sprint moving from 7th to 3rd position (or something like that) and couldn't pass the two guys in front in the "sprint".

cdr