Old 07-15-08, 09:37 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoCal Commute
Thanks for that tip flip, I work in IT and I guess I should revamp my thinking a little. Everyone can come first to an extent then they are just taking advantage of me.
DING DING DING! At my old job I worked 10 hr days (and kind of got paid for 8), and let everyone dictate my schedule to me. 9pm phone calls from half-drunk salesmen, 6am calls from overcaffinated warehouse workers - you name it. Lunch hours were a joke as my boss generall took a 12p-2pm lunch, and one of us always had to be there... you fill in the rest..

My "new" employer, it's a whole lot more employee-focused. Granted I'm high up on the proverbial totem pole, which does definitely help me dictate my now very normal schedule with normal lunch breaks. That's not to say I don't occasionally work odd hours - in fact quite often you'll find me doing email at night - but I also get the benefit of being able to leave early on a Friday if I'm done for the week. Here I have respect, and I give respect back - it's a whole different ballgame. Heck, I have a company phone, and I can count the times on one hand that it's rang after 6pm in the past 10 months.