Old 07-17-08, 01:56 AM
Catweazle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
We live in a "Need to Know" world
and the computer savy people have the advantage.
Damn straight!

And any 'oldies' hiding behind the "young people have the advantage" nonsense perhaps need a swift kick up the posterior. Young people don't have the advantage. People who take the time to learn how to use search tools more effectively have the advantage. It's got nothing to do with age!

I had a young fella 'tother day bewailing the search tool on a gaming forum. Try to find the official thread about X3" he was wailing. X3 is a computer game, and the forum search tool there doesn't accept search terms of less than 3 characters. Took me less than a minute all up to google X3, find out that the full game name is actually 'X3:Reunion', and then dig the forum thread up using 'reunion' as the search term, then post to undermine the complaint including an explanation of how to find it.

My old Dad spends hours on end happily googling all sorts of stuff up and reading it. Does pretty well at it, regardless of him having passed his 80th birthday years back. He's not as good at picking search terms as I am, but then his education and literacy was never what I enjoy. He does well because he didn't take long to pick up on scanning the funny-looking links before clicking on them, for clues to what might be an advertisement, a news site item, a forum post, an educational archive document and so forth.

GG grey power!