Old 07-18-08, 09:13 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by babysaph38
Anyone ever do it? I had the idea of touring on my giant sedona once it was converted. I was told not to it would be too tough to ride for long distances.
As posts above -- absolutely you can do this; this is a very common conversion, using mtbs both older and new. Probably wouldn't want to use a modern, ultra-light alum. or carbon race frame as a base, but other than that the only real question is whether the bike fits you well -- if it does, then go for it. My only bike (for daily commuting, fitness rides, and longer tours) is a converted/upgraded Giant Rainier ('05 model). It's oriented toward paved road/very light off-road, distance use. I've retained front suspension (personal preference, though I have upgraded the fork), but changed the gearing to a road cassette; use either Panaracer Pasela TG or Schwalbe Marathon tires. Made lots of other changes re. contact points (Ergon grips, that kind of thing), and ended up with a bike that is very tough, quite light, very quick when I want it to be, stable, and (above all) very comfortable to ride for long days. Go for it!