Old 07-21-08, 02:00 PM
bigbris1
One skid from blown knees

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vobopl
Has any wheel ever walked out from under you?

I love conversions, especially with vertical dropouts and fenders.
Yes.

I became a bike messenger in NYC in 1992 using my father's bike, which was a 10 speed road bike. I don't remember the name but I know it was really nice. Eventually I went through a lot of frames riding SS freewheel conversions. When I switched to fixed gear in 1995, still with the conversions, I always had problems with the rear wheel moving, the chain getting loose, etc. especially under the daily grind working in the city. I had a wheel pop completely out, and since the seat tube is typically farther away on a road frame the wheel can travel more.

It was unsafe. Finally I scored a Miyata frame with horizontal dropouts. I then knew what riding fixed gear was all about. Now I will not even go close to a conversion. I know a lot of people disagree, and there are some frames that are beautiful to be used for conversions. But when you depend on your chain to stay tight & your rear wheel to stay put, it becomes a gamble.

But I feel like if it wasn't made to be ridden with a fixed gear, then it shouldn't be converted. Period.

But that's just me. You do what you like.

For instance, this wheel is just begging for freedom from the frame: