View Single Post
Old 07-22-08, 01:15 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan)
Do you own one? If so, how good is it for long bike rides and handling the common road bumps?
Have it on the stokers saddle on the tandem and it does work. It is called a Cane Creek Thudbuster and the elastomers vary for weight of the rider. Bit on the pricey side but when the Pilot forgets to call a bump on the trail- I hardly feel it.

Long bike rides are not a problem (14 hours long enough?) but the saddle stills hurts after about 8 hours. This is the long travel version and there is a road version that is short travel. The Long travel is overkill on the road.

Very popular on Tandems so perhaps other tandem teams can confirm the usefullness. I have used it on night rides on the MTB as the post fits both bikes and it does work. Only problem is that you start to rely on it and it can put extra strain on the rear tyre. I use one heavy stoker and we are always getting pinch flats on the offroad downhills because he sits in the saddle instead of taking the weight on the legs. Hit a rock at 50 mph and we are stopping to repair a puncture within 200 yards.

Spike Milligan