Old 07-26-08, 06:31 PM
Live2Die
?que?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TempeRider
I don't know what school you are at, but bike theft is a real problem at most. If it were me, I'd be looking for something unatractive to theives - like a really ratty looking conversion.
Bogus. I live in Eugene Or, formerly #6 worst city for theft according to Kryptonite and now combined within Portland which is now tied for #5 and I've had 6 nice and plenty flashy bikes that get locked up everywhere and I've never had a problem with it. Don't lock up over night or in a dark alley next to a rehab clinic, and get a good lock, don't use quick releases and your golden. There are so many stupid campus kids who either don't lock up, use locks no thicker than floss, or lock their front QR wheel or just their seatpost that thieves have plenty of easier marks than mine and I get ignored. Thieves are certainly attracted to flashy bikes but it's not worth the risk if it will take as much time to snatch mine as the 5 magna's unlocked around me, most of the time they just sell them for the $ or drugs and don't really care about what they get as long as they get something. Of course great bikes do get nabbed but in my experience it's not the rule but rather the exception as long as your smart about the way you lock up. Don't get a different bike just for that reason just be smart with whatever bike you get and you're fine.