Old 07-27-08, 07:43 PM
varuscelli
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
One thing that concerns me about the Fenix L2DQ5 is the heat related issue when running in Turbo mode. I wonder if that will also affect the strobe mode. I recently came across some posts/info that say the Fenix becomes too hot to hand hold when in Turbo mode.
If using it as a bike light, the heat in the L2D turbo mode shouldn't be much of an issue (if at all) unless you're sitting still. While riding, you've got very good air cooling working for you. I don't think that strobe mode would tend to overheat it at all...but I don't ever use strobe mode for any length, so I'm just guessing. But hey, in strobe, the light is only on something like half the time, so I don't think that cumulatively it could build up a lot of heat -- especially if used on a ridden bike (I admit that my logic could be wrong, though).

Taking that a bit farther, my understanding is that even if the light is used in a situation in which is heats up significantly, unless you're in a place that has a high ambient temperature, the heat shouldn't be harmful to the light. An obvious example might be something like using the flashlight up in an attic during the day in summer time.

At night, outside with cooler air, especially if used while riding a bike, I don't think there's any real heat or overheating concern (at least, not to the degree that it would be harmful to the flashlight).