Old 07-28-08, 02:02 PM
Live Wire 
Framebuilder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calikid2006
OK. So, some say I need a jig, some say I don't. I WILL be using lugs as that seems to be the easiest... So, if I am using lugs aren't the angles already pre-set, so I wouldn't really need a jig as the lug holds the tube at the right angle?

Also please tell me if this is correct: When using lugs, I don't really have freedom to change geometry, but I DO have freedom to change the top-tube and seat tube lengths.

When using lugs, how well do I have to miter the tubes? Since they sit in a lug, do that have to be all that well mitered?

Thanks again guys, and I am waiting on the Paterek Manual, just want to learn the basics before I start reading...
Once you get the manual, a lot of these things will be more clear to you, but for now:
-You can easily change angles from the road standard 73 by + or - 2 degrees with most lugs, varying the bb drop can get you some more change. But if road bikes are your thing, there are plenty of lugsets out there that will work great as is.
-Lugs alone aren't enough to hold an angle while you braze- you need to have some way of holding the part while you pin/tack. This is where a jig really can save time.
-Lugs or not,miters should always be perfect, no gaps. That might sound like a lofty goal, but you can do it with enough practice.