Old 07-30-08, 05:33 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I've actually never been to Copenhagen, but a guy from Copenhagen came to Seattle a couple of years ago and gave a talk about what they did, which I attended. Basically, their city government made a conscious, sincere effort to modify the infrastructure to encourage more public spaces and to get people out of their cars. They built a network of bike lanes that were slightly raised above the level of the roads, re-routed arterials (traffic calming), as well as a bunch of totally separate bike paths. It was totally a "build it and they will come" experience. People felt safer on their bikes, and it became more convenient to use them, so massive numbers of people started using them. $8.00/gal fuel prices provided an added incentive. In addition, Copenhagen is pretty flat. The speaker (I can't remember his name) emphasized that a lot of people in Copenhagen still owned cars; they just didn't use them in town, because it was cheaper, easier, and faster to use a bike. They decided to spend a ****load of money to get people out of their cars and went ahead and did it. Given the nature of our culture, I'm not sure we can replicate what they did. Well, actually I'm sure we can't. The City of Seattle is thrilled that almost 2% of the population commutes by bike now, and wants to increase it to 10%, and critics think that goal is too ambitious. The few new bike lanes that we got have been bitterly contested by local business and neighborhood groups. (Even a couple of my car-driving friends have become blatantly hostile to bikes, once they realized that improved bike infrastructure meant fewer lanes for them.) Meanwhile, something like 30% of people in Copenhagen commute by bike.
I would modify that slightly to "build it and they will stay" or maybe "build it and they will come back". Denmark has always had a "cycling culture", but relatively recent (post WWII) gains in the standard of living and industrialization have slowly eroded the number of people riding. Some cities have spent a fair amount of money to reverse, or mitigate, this trend, with pretty good success.

I make this distinction (with which your speaker may disagree) because there isn't much of a cycling culture left in the US, and it would take some _serious_ political will to develop one, as you note.

On a side note, as for cars, most every family owns one, but not too many own two (from my unscientific observations). Cars are very expensive to buy (180% sales tax) and operate (gas is more like $10/gallon now), and since riding is so convenient, it is very rare that both spouses "need" a car to get to work or run errands.