View Single Post
Old 07-30-08, 08:00 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by facial
I have used this lubricant for many years now and I believe that, contrary to his assertions, it actually makes a chain last longer than if it is left out to rust without any oil at all.
That's not much of an endorsement. Bacon fat is better than using no oil at all.

WD-40 DOES contain a light lube in a carrier that is pretty much kerosine. However, it's not a durable or high film strength lube and has to be applied very often to have any real benefit. I know riders who use it successfully and get good chain life but they apply it every ride or two.

However, the purpose-made bike chain lubes aren't a scam to separate riders from their money. They work better and make the chain last longer with fewer applications than WD-40 will ever do. My personal favorite is ProLink but there are a lot of other good ones. Your riding conditions will have a big influence on what works best for you.