Old 07-31-08, 12:50 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own a Rodriguez but shopped them very carefully when buying one of my bikes, and if I were in the market for a custom touring bike I would seriously consider them. I have talked to them a number of times, visited the shop, seen how they build their frames, and visited with many Rodriguez owners around Seattle. They're very highly regarded; they work really hard to get the fit right; and for a custom/semi-custom builder I think their lead times are really reasonable.

One thing you should be aware of is that even though their website lists a number of standard configurations they will happily/easily put together about anything you want. For example, they have built a number of touring bikes w/Rohloff hubs, according to what they told me, and as you can see from their website you can do 700c wheels, 26-inch wheels, S&S couplers, etc...

BTW, there are a couple of Rodriguez touring bikes available right now on Seattle Craigslist if you're interested in buying used....I am always on the lookout for a used one, and I never see them on eBay but they do pop up from time to time on Seattle Craigslist.

(FYI, the bike I ended up buying is not a touring bike, but is from our other local builder, Davidson, www.davidsonbicycles.com, who also builds extremely nice touring bikes. As far as I know, all Rodriguez bikes are Tig-welded steel; Davidson will build a frame in lugged steel, Ti or Tig welded. Saw a beautiful lugged steel touring bike at Davidson's shop just the other day.).

Last edited by BengeBoy; 07-31-08 at 01:05 AM.