View Single Post
Old 07-31-08, 09:25 PM
timeoutofmind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding install of new tube

Hi. Thanks for the replies to my previous post regarding introductory repair manuals. I'll put some on order through the library in town. In the meantime, I need assistance regarding the install of a new tube. I never have any luck with the process. They always seem to lose air within days. I installed a new tube on the rear tire of my girlfriend's mountain bike (yesterday) and tonight I found it totally deflated. The bike was stored upside-down in the garage. The rims are 26" and call for Presto valves (that's the small one, right?). Are there mistakes that are commonly made when installing new tubes? I inflated the tube a bit in order to give it some shape, put it inside the tire, fit one bead in the rim, fit the other bead in the other side of the rim, and then inflated the tube to the recommended pressure (I think in this case it was 65 but I only really went as high as 55). Again, maybe there are some common errors I'm making when doing this. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read and respond to such a basic inquiry.