Old 08-01-08, 10:26 AM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Donna, it would be very, very fun. But, the locations proposed for Seattle are somewhat obscure, or "safe" areas that might not attract a lot of attention. They would be too far away for me to bother checking out, anyways. Thus, the people in those neighborhoods will benefit. Which, is super great, but, at the moment I don't understand how it's good for Seattle as a whole. Perhaps, these are simply 'test areas', and they connect the test areas to more test areas, and over time they create a continuous car-free zone throughout Seattle. If I understand correctly, Bogota Columbia set it up this way, a major artery is closed down entirely. (I might be wrong, I need to do some fact-checking).

But, in reality, I see these as more like farmer's markets, where small pockets will be car-free. But, I'm not going to drive to West Seattle (Alki) to bike for a few car-free blocks.

I think that if the city of Seattle was clever enough, they could set the car-free area to be a specific period of time on Sunday, not all day, as a compromise. Thus, in the case of Pikes Place Market, let's say 9am to 5pm. Before and after, vendors would be able to set up, park the cars, and tear down the same as always. If you run the buses so that they are 2-3 blocks from Pikes Place Market (for example), then, people minimize the amount they have to walk.

Of course, then, there would be people who would complain that it's not a true car-free day because it's not all day.

[edit:] After looking at the map again, the Alki route would be fun; it's got some fabulous views. It's going to be more crowded than it already is.

Last edited by FlowerBlossom; 08-01-08 at 10:30 AM.