Old 08-04-08, 09:00 PM
Bster13

Bikes: Dawes Lightning 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, everyone here knows I'm a sceptic when a newbie posts love for BD
OK, nobody knows I'm a bit of a jerk when forum members jump to conclusions w/out having a clue, and even more so when they can't spell. Please excuse my attitude towards 'kwrides,' people that get all 'sceptic' on me rub me the wrong way. If my initial post was displaying 'love' for BD then forgive me in advance for when I actually get the thing sorted and I've got a grin ear to ear after my first commute.

Anyway.... 'interested' u hit the nail on the head. I was worried about the bike's condition because of the packaging, but in the end everything was fine and there wasn't a mark on the bike. The bike is in the garage after an hour of lethargic assembly. I'll take some pics in a minute. (from reading the other BD posts I should of had pics ready for people like 'kwrides,' oh well.)

'JR97' good point, the bus would still be cheaper than taking the car, unfortunately (fortunately?) the bus stop is right around my corner.

Questions:

-I guess I don't have something sharp enough to trim the end of the front brake cable. I've never had trouble cutting other odds and ends, but I guess in my garage full of crud, I don't have the right tool. What does everyone else use? (I had tin snips and a pair of crimpers <has blade on it>) I can cut through it but I end up mangling the end. I may just try to glob on some solder or epoxy to keep it from fraying. haha.

-I need to read up on adjusting the dérailleurs. The chain is not going round the crank smoothly. About a quarter of the revolution is very tight and I need to apply a lot of pressure to the pedal. It worries me....if the dérailleurs are out of adjustment, then wouldn't it cause friction all he way through the revolution?

Other than these two issues, the bike is assembled. Just need to pump up the tires and assemble my gear (spares, tools, fenders etc.) I'll mess with it some more tomorrow night after the GF leaves.