View Single Post
Old 11-09-04, 09:39 PM
Dchiefransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dab60
Ain't that the truth!! It is really frustrating that so much more concern is given in the design of cycling gear to being cool, than to being safe and functional. Even when they put in reflective piping it is miniscule. I think commuters make up such a small subset of the cycling universe that we don't really count in the marketing decisions of manufacturers. Personally I would rather be considered a visible dork than be cool and dead. I don't think there is such a thing as too much visibilty.
Actually, when you talk pedals, it IS more functional not to have reflectors on them. I sense that most riders that don't understand all pedals not having them are using flat pedals with clips and straps, or cages. My clipless pedals give me much more power throughout my pedal stroke than any flat pedal can give, no matter what attachments they have.
If you want reflective gear, get an Illuminite outfit. The make helmet covers, vests, jackets, cycling tights, pants, and socks, of Illuminite. When any light hits this, it lights right up. The only reason you haven't found reflective gear is you're not looking.
Also, while you're at it, please don't get so hung up on hanging so much safety visibility stuff on yourself that someone decides to make it all mandatory, ALL the time. It's not that easy riding for long periods of time above 20 mph with the drag of the wind hitting all kinds of loose stuff.