Old 08-07-08, 03:09 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tulip
I don't see the problem. Why should he have to defend the choice of team members? I like the multinational teams.The TdF is not the Olympics, where nationalism rules over all else.
There's not a problem, as best as I can tell.

Vaughters marches to the beat of a different drummer which is evident in both the OP's quoted comments from Bicycling and the one that I snagged from a Cycling News interview back in January where he "describes" his vision for his US-based team's members.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I just don't see any of the quoted comments as being defensive nor can I imagine a need to do that given that almost all of the professional racing teams have gone multi-national. Admittedly, I think Vaughters might have gone a little over the top with the "metro-sexual American team" thing, but that's just his persona shinging through.

Bottom Line: Pro cycling thankfully has a few very colorful folks who are comfortable in their skin; Vaughters is just one of the most recent arrivals. Gotta love the argile kits and his argile sweaters.