Old 08-07-08, 11:56 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
I'd really like to avoid taking this to the shop, so here goes.

The bar-end shifter evidently has a wedge like a quill stem, that holds it in place. There's a 6mm bolt that tightens it against the inner bar. Mine's stuck.

I've removed the bar completely and I've got it in a bolted-down vice. I've disassembled the shifter to expose the inner bolt, but I can not turn that bolt, even leaning into it. I'm a little concerned about stripping the bolt head (rounding it with the hex wrench), but I'm also wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I've tried both directions just in case it's reverse threaded for some odd reason. I've also soaked the shifter it in liquid wrench also, as well as I could.

Like I said - help!
Try a couple different hex wrenches in it and find the one that's tightest. Then, turn it clockwise (like Auntie Team said) with as much force as you can muster.

There's a fair amount of aluminum-on-aluminum contact in there. If they weren't properly lubricated in the first place, things may have corroded together. You may have to cut the bars apart to salvage the shifter.

If you destroy the mount inside the handlebar, I think you can replace them with the Silver bar-end mounts from Rivendell: http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=17-068 . Remember to grease them well, and don't tighten too tight!

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..